Whether you are a vaping newbie or someone a bit further along on their journey, there is always an odd term that you don’t understand or might find confusing. I want to use this short piece to explain some of the more involved vaping phases, debunk some myths and increase your understanding of vaping. We look at the different vape devices, the liquid we put in them and the various vaping methods. As the vape revolution continues to gain traction and is now firmly established as a viable form of nicotine replacement therapy for those looking to give up smoking, it will also form a valuable information database.
The Vaping Basics
In this section, we’ll look at the different parts of vape devices and some basic terms related to the various ways of vaping and vaping liquids; some you may know and are self-explanatory, but there are others that even the most seasoned vaper may not know. Here goes –
- AIO – all in one is a device with all the components built-in; vape pens and starter kits all fall into this category.
- Atomiser – describes the coil in a vape device but can also define the coil and tank together.
- Coil – an integral part of any vape device, the wicking material inside the coil soaks up the e-liquid and is then heated.
- Drip tip – this is the mouthpiece through which you inhale.
- Nic Salt – a newer form of nicotine giving a smoother vape.
- PG – Propylene Glycol is one of the main ingredients of vape liquids.
- Tank – this contains the coil and is filled with e-liquid.
- Throat Hit – refers to the sensation in your throat when vaping.
- Vape Pen – a simple starter device shaped like a pen.
- VG – is also one of the main components of the vape juice.
- Wick – usually made from cotton, it soaks with e-liquid.
- 50/50 – describes an e-liquid with an even PG/VG mix ratio.
- 70/30 is a vape liquid with a higher VG content, used to produce large vapour clouds.
- 80/20 – also an e-liquid but high in PG, it gives a vape with superb flavour, and excellent throat hit.
More involved Vaping Terms
In this next section, we’ll look at some of the more obscure vaping terms that refer to some of the more advanced vape devices on the market today; hopefully, they will give you a better idea of where your vaping journey is headed.
- DTL – this describes the direct-to-lung vaping style where vapers draw the vapour straight into their lungs.
- Mech Mod – a vape device used by extremely advanced vapers.
- MOD – describes a more powerful device with removable batteries.
- MTL – this is the mouth-to-lung vaping style used by many vapers.
- POD – an advanced vape device with a slightly different design with a changeable pod instead of a tank.
- Sub-ohm – describes a coil with low resistance; sub-ohm devices are designed for use with the 70/30 e-liquid.
- VV – a variable voltage device that allows the vaper to change the voltage.
- VW – with this type of device, the wattage is changeable, thus increasing the strength of the vape.
So, there we are, vaping terms explained. I hope you’re now more informed and can take your next steps in the vaping world with confidence, happy vaping!