Freedom camping in Australia is possible. If you’re traveling around in a campervan hire, this may be welcoming news—especially if you’re traveling on a budget. It’s a great way to see nature and enjoy the beauty of the open road, but there are some things to keep in mind for a responsible experience.
Doing freedom camping right is about showing concern for the environment, wildlife, and other travelers. It’s about being responsible humans who enjoy the freedoms of Australia while also respecting the local laws and concerns.
It’s definitely a great way to save money and enjoy the beautiful scenery that is abundant in Australia, but you should make sure to do it right. To help you make the best of your road trip in Australia and to ensure that you avoid drama, the following tips will help you better understand freedom camping in this country:
- Be aware of your rubbish. It’s very important to be concerned about the environment when freedom camping. One of the reasons why freedom camping is illegal in some places is due to environmental concerns. If you find a place where you are allowed to freedom camp, be smart about your disposal of food and trash. Always bag it up and dispose of it elsewhere. Remember that what you leave could end up being dangerous for the local wildlife. When you leave the campsite, animals will be able to smell any food or object left behind and forgotten food packages or other non-biodegradable items can kill animals.
- Leave the area exactly as you found it. When freedom camping, you want to depart from the area and make it look and feel as if a human has never been there before. From clearing up the area where you may have cooked your meal to disposing waste properly, you don’t want to leave any trace. It’s your way to respect the environment and your opportunity to freedom camp. It’s also a way to be respectful of the campers who may visit the site after you. In the end, picking up after yourself isn’t that difficult. It may take more time to ensure that everything is perfectly clean before you leave, but it won’t kill you.
- Investigate where you’re allowed to freedom camp. Don’t just wing it. Don’t just think that you can pull up anywhere and camp. If you’re planning on road tripping a certain route, make sure that you map out the spots where you can freedom camp along the way. If you freedom camp in an illegal area, you could be subject to a fine, so be aware of where you’re allowed or not allowed. Check up with local councils upon arriving to your destinations to make sure that you won’t get fined.
- Make sure to power up your vehicle and alternate between freedom camping and hooking the campervan hire up. Freedom camping means that you won’t have electrical hookups. If you need your stove to cook on or your mini fridge for food, you want to be sure that you have power for it. Depending on your type of campervan hire, you can alternate between freedom camping and hooking up every now and then to ensure that you get the power you need.
- Download a local app for road conditions, alerts, and more. To ensure that you can freedom camp in the area that you want to and that it will be safe during the time of your trip, make sure to get an app on your phone that can alert you to weather/road conditions in real time. This can help to save you time and money. If you discover that it’s impossible to stay some place that you had planned ahead of time, you can then plan accordingly. It’s much better than showing up to a place where you won’t be able to sleep or park.
A road trip in Australia will undoubtedly be a rewarding experience, but you want to make sure that you have your trip planned out in advance. From the destinations that you want to visit to the places where you want to stay, a prepared trip is the best way to do it. Being aware of the local laws and current conditions can help to save you a whole lot of trouble. It takes a bit more preparation than normal, but respecting the country while having a great time is worth it.
If you’re considering a road trip in a campervan hire throughout Australia, you’re in for the trip of a lifetime. Australia has fascinating landscapes, wildlife, and beautiful destinations. Whether you’re road tripping with your sweetheart, friends, or on your own, freedom camping can be a good way to save some cash. Just make sure that you follow the above tips before you take off to ensure that you have a great time and that Australia remains the gorgeous place it is today.